Sustain resources mod - build 29.4

apelikejay

Sorry to bother you again but it seems impossible for me to use the spade to get some clay.

When I have the spade in my inventory, wherever I click, the option "dig more" never appears.

Any idea?

(FYI I'm using your modpack on an old save converted for the 29.3 version of the game, and I'm running the Erosion mod at the same time. Maybe one of those things creates a conflict?)

Edit : I've seen on the original mod's page than it is a known issue since the last builds. Cellar and some walls don't work either.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing around with your mod and I love it. But  I have found some things that I can not find out how they work.

Where do you find charcoal? Gunpowder needs charcoal but I have not seen any yet in game. I have made a Silenced Pistol and I can not put any attachments on it. I am having trouble making pie dough. It seems I can only make one at a time. Even if I have all the stuff needed the crafting helper tells me I do not have all i need.

Whenever I try to run the mod, It removes the title screen UI, and forces me to unload it from the .txt file. Does anyone else have this issue? Build 29.3

Sorry I have had a few troubles with this mod but your is not one of them. I fear I would no clue what would do that I hope someone can help you.

Haven't been around for the last week... Charcoal is made with either a plank or log and a lit hand torch or 2x lit candles... the silenced pistol has no attachments as yet (when crafted the Silenced Pistol is a whole new item, not a modified Pistol--thus pistol attachments do not work in it), and for what it's worth, I have tried it out -- it does not attract zombies (that part works) but it still sounds like a regular pistol to the player.

Pie dough is part of the regular game's recipes... I am working on an update to this mod which includes a nearly complete overhaul of the food system... I'm not a fan of how un-uniform it is... how cooking two different items generally have two totally different methods of cooking and eating. (can make bowls of soup but must eat stirfry from the pan, baked goods are slightly convoluted, and this mod probably *needs* something to sustain baked goods: ability to craft sugar, salt, pepper, etc).

Also, as of right now: making jerky from fish doesn't work. It's a simple fix and will be in the next version of this mod... I know about it. Fix (and more) coming soon...

And finally, I have no idea what could be causing that issue for you, DarkSlayerEx...

Haven't been around for the last week... Charcoal is made with either a plank or log and a lit hand torch or 2x lit candles... the silenced pistol has no attachments as yet (when crafted the Silenced Pistol is a whole new item, not a modified Pistol--thus pistol attachments do not work in it), and for what it's worth, I have tried it out -- it does not attract zombies (that part works) but it still sounds like a regular pistol to the player.

Pie dough is part of the regular game's recipes... I am working on an update to this mod which includes a nearly complete overhaul of the food system... I'm not a fan of how un-uniform it is... how cooking two different items generally have two totally different methods of cooking and eating. (can make bowls of soup but must eat stirfry from the pan, baked goods are slightly convoluted, and this mod probably *needs* something to sustain baked goods: ability to craft sugar, salt, pepper, etc).

Also, as of right now: making jerky from fish doesn't work. It's a simple fix and will be in the next version of this mod... I know about it. Fix (and more) coming soon...

And finally, I have no idea what could be causing that issue for you, DarkSlayerEx...

Thank you I will try the charcoal now that I know. And yes I tried the silenced pistol as it was with out upgrades and yep it nice load but the zed's around don't hear it.

I found out by playing a un modded game that the pie dough not working anyway.  I thought it was the mod but I should have tested it first.

I would love to see a better cooking recipes. I love to use the cooking and not just eat a bag of chips less I have nothing else that is. So I am looking foreword to more recipes in PZ in the regular or in a good mod like this.

Keep up the good work. ;)

Little bit of a math question. Why dose it cost 400 primers and 400 empty 9mm brass cases. to make 20 9mm rounds? It also use 21 reloading recipe/book to make the same 20 90mm rounds.

Even if I pick up my brass cases the 20 rounds I just made will only in the end give me enough to make 1 9mm round. And you can only make them in set of 20 rounds. But that is the numbers as they work out.  I know this might be a way to slow down ammo making. Now this is fine I am just trying to find out if this is right or is my mod bugged?

Also a suggestion why have the recipe/book get used up. if it a book that I need to look back on to make the stuff right then how about we keep the book like the tools. But make all the recipe/book realy rare. Like finding a bat. 9mm rounds or a axe on a zombie. they are rare drops when they come off the zed's. And being it is random you might have trouble getting all the books you need to do the crafting. but it make it worth the effort to try and find and collected them.

Little bit of a math question. Why dose it cost 400 primers and 400 empty 9mm brass cases. to make 20 9mm rounds? It also use 21 reloading recipe/book to make the same 20 90mm rounds.

Even if I pick up my brass cases the 20 rounds I just made will only in the end give me enough to make 1 9mm round. And you can only make them in set of 20 rounds. But that is the numbers as they work out.  I know this might be a way to slow down ammo making. Now this is fine I am just trying to find out if this is right or is my mod bugged?

Also a suggestion why have the recipe/book get used up. if it a book that I need to look back on to make the stuff right then how about we keep the book like the tools. But make all the recipe/book realy rare. Like finding a bat. 9mm rounds or a axe on a zombie. they are rare drops when they come off the zed's. And being it is random you might have trouble getting all the books you need to do the crafting. but it make it worth the effort to try and find and collected them.

I was afraid of this... personally, I'm a shotgun guy and shells are all I've made... but I had the same issue with shotgun shells (haven't made 9mm shells so I didn't notice)...

There is a glitch in the system, not sure what brings it about but it's like this: in the default code, "shotgunshells" = 12 shotgun shells when spawned in the game like in a cabinet (via a parameter defined as "count=12") but it also equals 1 shotgun shell if you unstack when it is spawned. So if I write code that is supposed to spawn 12 shotgun shells, I should just say "shotgunshells" and it will automatically = 12 when created... but this isn't working. For some reason I had to redefine the newly spawned shotgun shells as "shotgunshells=2" which now spawns 24 shells... but "shotgunshells" alone was not giving 12 as it should.

Apparently the same issue is going on with the other ammos...

item Bullets9mm	{		Count	=	10,		Weight	=	0.1,		Type	=	Normal,		DisplayName	=	9mm Rounds,		Icon	=	40calAmmoBox,	}

This is from the default game code for the pistol ammo... shotgun shells work the same way only their count is 12. When this is used to spawn 10 x 9mm shells at once, when crafting, it's only kicking back 1 shell and not the full count. (which is weird... if I set the new spawn to "Bullets9mm" it will kick back one shell, and not 10, but if I set this to "Bullets9mm=10" if will give me 100 ammo and not 10-- can anyone explain that?)

For the time being (and I'm sorry about this...truly am--sucks to collect those books and waste 'em, I know): shotgun shells are the only shells I can guarantee 'work right'. All the parts for the other ammo will craft correctly, this is only for the final step when putting all the bullet parts together (the step requiring the Reload Manual)... you can still craft bullet/shell parts for other ammo and store them for when the fix comes through... nothing should change as far as the parts are concerned.

Going to take some tweaking... I'll get something up in a day or two (and look at all the ammos when doing it)...

I wish I could help you but I not to good with coding at all. And it nothing to be to sorry about it only one small matter that needs to be tweaked. I have got a good run in on a game with your mod and it given me time to play around with the crafting. One thing I like about a lot of the crafting in your mod is you need a base to do it there no real way to be doing most of it on the move. This gives a much more real feel to it. After all who can care all they need around with them day to day to make ammo anyway. :D

This is a resource sustainability mod that my cousin and I play together nightly...

it 'borrows' from the following mods:

CraftHelper 1.2 (by Omegapl)                                                                    

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/9267-craft-helper-12/

This sustainMod adds 200+ recipes to the game... CraftHelper is essential in keeping it    

organized both for me... and for gameplay! Amazing Mod... all credit Omegapl, and apparently

Peanuts, the original creator of the mod.

Reloading Mod v.0.2 (by Rausheim)                                                                

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10105-reloading-mod-make-your-own-ammo/    

'Borrowed' greatly from this mod... textures and ammo-to-the-ground scripts are identical

with only minor changes to recipes and drop rates. This provides a great foundation for

providing ammo sustainability. Great work, Rausheim!

Dry Towels (by Saranis)                                                                            

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7126-dry-towels/

A great little mod that allows for cleanup of wet towels in games and extends itself well

to the sustainability idea I am aiming for in this compilation pack. Allows for collection

of water by wringing out otherwise spent items such as the wet bath towel and wet dish towel!

The Toolbox.png and MetalScrap.png images used in this mod are from:                                                    

Building Mod v.0.2.2 (by badtrix)                                                                

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7773-building-mod-v022/    

I couldn't get this working with the latest builds... I didn't want to mess with it.

This mod inspired the recycling aspect of the following mod. I never really looked at the

recipe code from this so any similarity to my own code below is coincidental. They both do

the same thing, coincidences were bound to occur. Credit for the inspiration and the images!

And finally:

Start Safe (by Nymall)

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/8353-start-safe-one-time-starter-materials/

This is used to provide new players with four core items used in recycling and crafting with

this mod. These items are not ingame drops and this mod is the only way to get them. Nifty

little mod and it served a great purpose with my mod.

If you are using any of these mods, you can disable them or uninstall them when using my mod.

They are already implemented in this mod as they fit exactly what I am trying to accomplish with it.

FILE UPDATE (10/13/14):

You can safely use the Start Safe mod listed above now. I have changed the function names and

file name to differ from the original mod so the two can co-exist. This means, if you want to add

custom starting items via that file, hitting 'insert' with both mods will now give both mods items.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that credits are aside, what is in this mod?

Dispose of corpses with axes, knifes... even spoons... and collect Disturbing Trophies.

Allows for creation of new weapons: Katana (bladed), Softball Bat (blunt equiv), and the

Streetsweeper Shotgun. Also build easier recipes like a Screwed Baseball Bat, Razor

(bladed) Baseball Bat and the Backyard Katana...

Can your own soups and stews and all farmable foods. Works with scavenged Berries.

Store your farmed goods and use them when you need them, not just before they spoil.

Allows for recycling of nearly every in-game item.

Craft many in-game items: tools like the sledgehammer and saw, weapons like the shotgun

and hunting rifle, even their modifications like the x8scope... most if not all of it is in here.

Recycle spent ammo and craft your own ammo, mostly thanks to Rausheim! Spent ammo

even kicks to the ground... collect them shells!

Greatly lowered fixing costs for in-game items. They now require 1 of each default item.

Changed gun fixing to use Bleach instead of another gun. The equivalent of cleaning.

Craft a Beehive.

Extract Honey from the hive and make Go Go Juice.

Extract Beeswax and make Candles.

Craft a Hand Torch, an offhand item that greatly increases night vision.

Utilize Saranis' DryTowels mod and collect water from wet towels, or just dry them.

Collect the patterns (in the form of books) to do this mod's recipes from zombies. The

better the craft-able reward, the rarer the book drop. Books are spent on use so save them up!

Track it all with the power of CraftHelper 1.2, by Omegapl.

FILE UPDATE (10/6/2014):

Pill bottles now kick back an empty bottle which can be recycled (the previous method was... ugly).

Added ability to craft pills (via new recipe/book drops).

Paint cans now give back an empty paint can when used up.

Added ability to refill these empty paint cans -- only with the color they previously were. This means

if you have one can of one color, effectually you can paint forever with that one color. Recipe drops

are added for this as well.

Craft Plaster Powder.

Books can now be shredded into 20 sheets of paper. 20 sheets of paper can now be bound into books.

The point of this mostly revolves around campfires. It makes no sense that I can light a fire with a sheet

of paper but I cannot light many fires with the many sheets of paper inside a book. Now we can!

Added a rare gun crafting recipe drop: Silenced Pistol. Has a touch less range but otherwise identical

to the pistol... except it's quiet. Zombies should only hear it if they're in the room or very close.

(This Pistol is a work in progress... it might take some modifying to get the sound right... I'll removed this

parenthetical when it's confirmed solid.)

Added ability to make Jerky from all trapping and fishing game.

Added ability to craft recycling materials via semi-rare book drops -- for when servers get low on

recyclable items. (Which shouldn't really happen considering you can recycle jewelry, pills and

clothes and get the three main recycling mats, all from zombie drops--but it will be a nice little boost.)

FILE UPDATE (10/13/14):

Can now craft hinges and door knobs.

Honey can now be put in Water Bottles, Whiskey Bottles and Pop Bottles... not just Wine Bottles.

Plaster Powder now kicks back an empty bag when used. Just like the paint, this is needed to refill

(craft) more Plaster Powder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To use this mod:

Download and extract to your /users/USERNAME/zomboid/mods/ folder for single player.

For multiplayer, extract and overwrite your /media/ folder inside your game directory

with the media folder provided in the zip file. It is advisable to backup your game's default

media folder before making changes to it.

This works perfectly fine on our multiplayer server on build 29.3. For multiplayer:

When new patches or hot fixes come through, simply apply the patch then re-save the media

folder over the game's default media folder... it's worked so far *fingers crossed*. Remember,

all players on the multiplayer server must have the same file structure so every player must do

this.

When starting with a new character, hitting the "insert" button on your keyboard will

provide you with four essential items for crafting. These items are heavy! Use this

option only when you have a safe spot to unload them. The weight requirement for them is

so that crafting isn't something done 'on-the-fly'. Crafting and recycling should be done

when you are safely nestled in a base somewhere, at night, when you've run out of skill

books to read.

I provided these items this way because they are items that are not currently able to be recycled

and I didn't want to mess with the default drops of the game more than I already had. I wanted

these items to have a very low drop rate and with these rates scalable by the UI when a server

is created, making the drop rate too low would make items virtually non-existent on servers that

play rare or low item distribution. This way they get into the game without disrupting the item

distribution for items you would want to recycle or otherwise use... but they aren't everywhere.

Why even make them at all? Because they slow down crafting. A few core crafting items are essentially,

'magically' brought into the game... it has to be this way to 'sustain' anything. Time is the only cost I can

apply to such items and having to drag these items around is a slowdown in itself.

Most of this mods recipes can be done from the ground. The way the game's mechanics are

working at the moment, means that one of the required items can be on the ground. But only one.

With this mod you can sustain your resources (firepower, water and canned goods) indefinitely...

long after a server has been looted.

FYI: The Katana uses the poolcue sprites, the Softball Bat uses the baseball bat, and the

Streetsweeper uses the shotgun.

This is fully updated to the current live build on Steam --> Early Access 29.3.

I will not be publicly updating this for the IWBUMS branch anymore... just through 29 as I developed

it. It should continue to work for players on that branch and I will probably update it to build 30 when

it goes live if any tweaking is needed.

I do not know about backward compatibility to previous builds. Recipes in this mod utilize the Stone

Axe and Berries of the build 29+ branch and might 'break' something if used on previous branches.

how do u install and use this mod,i run windows 8

Sorry, I've been massively sick the last week + ... had every intention of having this updated by now... will absolutely have it updated within a few days from today... starting to feel better.

@ Keyboardassassin -- I have no idea how Windows 8 works... I'd imagine if you can figure out the file structure (where the default game files are and where the mod files are) it should work with the new locations. If they are new.... Windows 8? I don't know...

@ Jooper -- the same problem you are having is mentioned on the Start Safe mod page that I grabbed this code from...

if key == 210 and me:getModData().startingloot2 == 0 then

This is line 10 of media/lua/client/sustainAddItems.lua ... in the mod folder. 

The "210" represents the insert key on windows keyboards. I am not sure how Mac keybinds work but changing this number to one that works on Mac will help you out. Simply open up a file editor and change the "210"... to what though, I don't know... same as above, I know less about Mac than I do Windows 8... which is nothing.

(the windows key codes appear to be coming from the Lightweight Java Game Library... http://www.lwjgl.org/javadoc/constant-values.html -- is a list of the windows constant field values for the keybindings... if you can somehow find this same list for Mac or maybe play around with the known keys from this list, one might match... or maybe someone here knows...)

For what it's worth, on the update that is coming shortly, I've already built the foundation for a system that will eliminate the need to "insert" any items in the game... it's close... I just need to get a little better and spend some time play testing it. Shouldn't be more than a few days -- this next weekend at the latest. I'd like to play test it more than I did in the past and get it absolutely right.

Terribly sorry I haven't been around on this... I haven't played any game in over a week and if the cold wasn't already killing me... it'd be killing me.

nice mod :) i'm running the mod on steam build 29.3 and i'm unable to mount the laser on standard pistol i keep them both in the main inventori but no option is given what i'm missing? (i have a silenced pistol in the inventori too but i presume it can't be modified)

Awesome Mod!  I am fairly new to the game, but enjoying these additions quite a bit!

I am having the same problem mention above of not being able to "insert" the starting items required for a lot of the crafting.  I edited the  sustainAddItems.lua file as stated above for an existing game.  I am running windows on a MacBook Air (I know, blasphemy to many), and do not have an "insert key."  I have been trying to modify the "210" key in  sustainAddItems.lua to other options (211 for DEL, 54 for shift, different letters or numbers), without any success (closing and restarting after each change).  

Any ideas on how I can get the starting items? Thanks for sharing such a fun mod!

@ Trazma... at the moment, it's only working with Wine Bottles... you have to drink those... a change is coming soon to add the other bottles.

When I first did this, I had assumed those were the Empty Bottles you find in trash cans all the time so I set it to those... but no... you need to drink the red wine... the good news, you only need to do it once...

Will be changed in the near future.

how do you use the safe starter part of the mod?

• 2 weeks later...

FILE UPDATE (11/26/14):

Eliminated the Start Safe Mod... no longer do you have to hit "insert" to get the starting items.

Casks are now craftable via Handfuls of Minerals that drop regularly from dead zombies.

Casks are now drainable / refillable.

Essentially it takes 25 Handfuls to craft one cask... there are three casks to make... and each cask

lasts for 100 uses... so there is a 25 mineral overlap to allow for some extra cask making if desired.

This also means... more killing!

(be advised... the handfuls have a little bit of weight to them and they do add up when gathering...)

The Blow Torch is now craftable.

Fixed (I believe) an issue with the non-shotgun bullet making. They should now correctly make

whole stacks of ammo... this only affected the final step of ammo making.

Fixed the inability to make Jerky from caught fish... now you fillet caught fish with a kitchen knife

and then use the fillet to make the jerky.

Messed around with the Silenced Pistol -- it's still loud on the players end...

----

I have verified that you can update this over the last version of this mod with no problems. The minerals will start dropping

and all ingame casks you currently have will become drain-able automatically.

NOTE for multiplayer updating of servers: If you want to keep the integrity of your file structure clean... as in, no files out of place... be sure to go into your program files/steam/steamapps/common/Project Zomboid/lua/client folder and delete the sustainAddItems.lua file. It is no longer used in the current mod configuration and if you installed this into your program files previously, and not as a mod, this file will still be there and doesn't belong anymore. This should save you future confusion if new players join your server and they don't have this file. All your players on your server should delete/verify that this file is gone, if you do.

----

Sorry it took so long... that cold I had could haven been hardcoded into this game and used as another method of killing off players... it was just that bad... and I hate to say it but... more to come... eventually... I still have some more food ideas and I really want to work in the two maps when I can get their errors to stop logging...

Enjoy!

As of right now, as far as I know there are no real issues with the recipes or items in this mod other than the loud silenced pistol.

I would love to play this on MP, But I and a friend are having big ass troubles getting it to work on his dedicated server.   :???:

For multiplayer, both you and your friend follow these steps... it's best to start with a clean copy of zomboid... it's worth noting that following these steps will get you up and going in multiplayer but it will delete any of your old saves.

Open your Steam Library and right click on "Project Zomboid"... from there go to "Local Files" and click on "Delete Local Content".

This uninstalls the game.

Verify that it did a complete uninstall by checking your steam/steamapps/common/ folder for "Project Zomboid"... if you still see Project Zomboid in that folder, delete it.

Now right click on "Project Zomboid"/"Properties" again in your Steam Library and then click on "Betas" and make sure you are "Opt out of Betas".

Reinstall the game. The purpose of these steps is because if any manual changes have been made to your default media folder, it will keep those changes on this next step... it's just best to start clean.

Open your Steam Library and right click on "Project Zomboid"... from there go to "Local Files" and click on "Verify Integrity of Game Cache". After this is done you will see a "currentcontentbuildID" at the bottom of this same page in Steam... verify that both you and your friend have the same ID here.

If you do, and have followed all these steps, both of you will be running exactly the same game, which is important for multiplayer.

Now, simply download the zip file from the front post in this thread. Extract that file anywhere you'd like but not inside your steam folder... not yet.

This file is designed to be used as a mod and contains extra files you don't need in multiplayer.

Open the extracted folder in one windows explore window... and open a second windows explorer to your steam programs folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid -- is the location on mine, yours should be similar.

Now copy the "media" folder from inside the extracted mod window, into the second window containing the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid folder... important that you copy and replace all, agreeing to all.

If you both follow these steps exactly, this should work for multiplayer without issue. However, if you have been playing around with servers or have had one running, chances are you still have those files to delete too... Goto your users/Project Zomboid folder and delete it before firing up the new server. You can delete select files from inside this folder to just delete the server and not your old saves, but I'm unsure exactly which files to delete as I have always just deleted the whole folder when updating new...

--Kinda new----

So forgive if stupid question.

I looked on one of the websites that provided information about this mod, and it had highlighted in green the mod that I assume was available which was on that page that it displayed, "Rip Sheets".  Mine doesn't highlight in green, but I can still make ripped sheets.  However, I really wanted to make a bat which required hammer, log, saw, and screwdriver.  I had all these items in my main menu (not my backpack), and I couldn't figure out how to make the bat.  I have carpentry level 2.  DIdn't know if that was it, but I've tried some others, and nothing except the normal crafting of items seems to work.  Hoping this is a stupid question and I am just not something (level, highlight everything and then try it (Tried that), right click and the option comes up (Nope).)  Version 29.4.  Any suggestions, cause that mod is awesome.  Don't understand why it isn't working - cause it appears it should.   I like all the options.  Oh - wait - I could make something.  What was it.....think think think....torch.  Blow torch.  Whatever it was made out of, it turned in to a ball looking icon of wrinkled stuff, then I made the torch out of that.  SO....obiously it is working.  It's capentry level isn't it?