New public IP when my router goes down

amcoops

I have had some trouble getting the multiplayer going on this game (there's a lot of guides on how to set one up but nobody mentions how to join a server) but now I have it up and running I'm really enjoying it.

Recently we've hit quite a big snag though; every time my router goes down (from a power cut or it starts to play up and I have to reboot) I get a new public IP address which my friend then needs to connect to my server. When he does connect he has to create a new character and change his username; losing his carpentry skill and all his items in the process.

Is there any way around this problem? We live in the same house and are connected to the same router so we could run the server through our LAN if I knew how, however there's no real guide for this.

Thank you.

Is there any way around this problem? We live in the same house and are connected to the same router so we could run the server through our LAN if I knew how, however there's no real guide for this.

Thank you.

It should already be running on your lan. If your friend renames his save folder to your local network address and then connects to that then he should be good to go.

For example, if your public IP is 8.8.8.8 and your local ip is 192.168.1.5 and his character is named Foobar then he would rename Zomboid\Multiplayer\8.8.8.8_Foobar to Zomboid\Multiplayer\192.168.1.5_Foobar and then connect to 192.168.1.5 in the game.

If your server is also using DHCP on your local network then you might need to be set a static local IP to prevent it from changing after reboots or power outages.

Thank you.

Instead of connecting to the internet IP, you could connect to the local IP.

Most routers have something called DHCP Reservation that lets you bind a local IP to your PC's MAC address.

Alternatively, you can just set a static IP; there are several guides for this. One of them:

http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm

Edit: yeah what Brybry said :)